Dental team management
Help! I’m a dentist not a manager!
Have you wished that you could concentrate more fully on your role as a dentist and your clinical skills? Instead, you find yourself knee-deep in people management problems. It probably saps away at your energies and gets in the way of your clinical role and income generation.
From experience we know that there are two likely scenarios you’ll be facing:
New to practice leadership
Managing a larger team can be a challenge especially if you haven’t done it before. You will have succeeded because of your expertise in dentistry, but now you find yourselves managing and responsible for other people. You may not have much experience of doing this and maybe you are doing something that haven’t been trained to do. We can help you with your team management issues, systems and processes to make your team one to be really proud of.
Experienced senior professional needing new skills
Dentists need to develop even to stand still these days. The environment of the practice is changing, the people management skills you need are changing as well. New challenges are occurring and you may find that what worked in the past no longer seems to have the desired effect. We can help with these issues and provide fresh approach and a bigger toolkit to help you.
In either scenario the solution is to provide in depth, tailored learning and development, using a variety of methods that suits the individuals and the practice. Take a look at the course outline below which you can use as a menu. Pick and choose the areas you most need help with and we’ll be there to assist you.
Example People Management Development skills course outline
Day 1: Managing yourself
The Role of the Dentist as a Manager in the 21st Century
- Understanding the role of the dental practice owner today
- Exploring what effective managers do
- Knowing the difference between being busy and being productive
- Managing the task, the team and the individual
- Working effectively cross-functionally
Management and Leadership
- What is the difference?
- Leadership skills – an overview
- What type of leader do you need to be?
- What are the choices
- How can you adapt?
- How to be a better communicator
- Improving verbal and written communication
- Using body language to enhance charisma and impact
- Advanced listening skills
Self and time management
- Time Management
- Getting rid of your personal time wasters
- Establishing priorities
- Allocation or Delegation?
- Choosing from 100 proven time management techniques
- Ways to make more time
- Changing habits of a lifetime
- How to think out of the box
- Tools to add problem solving
- Different approaches to decsion making
- Tools and techniques
- Personal Action Plan
Day 2 Managing Others
- Some well established theories of motivation
- What they mean in practice and how can they be used?
- Newer motivational tools
- How to inspire and enthuse the team
- What is delegation
- Do you need to delegate more?
- The advantages of delegation
- Why managers don’t delegate
- What to delegate
- A holistic approach
- Making appraisal work
- Setting SMARTER objectives
- Personal development plans
Making Meetings Work
- Running Team Briefings
- How to be an effective Chair
- Content and Process issues
- Building confidence as a group member at meetings
- Effective Action-centred agendas
- Excellent minutes
Bridging the Gaps
- Personal Action Planning
All our dental team management development skills programmes are tailored to suit your delegates and your organisation. We make sure that we give excellent value for money. Unlike other consultancies we don’t charge for this tailoring because we believe it is the end result you are buying, not our preparation time.
Call us now on 0845 165 6269 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to book or discuss how we can help. Have a look at our other management training programmes if your people need to strengthen specific areas of their role: